An electric generator is a reliable tool that can be used at any time, anywhere, including at home.
Generators are essential for all businesses. Some businesses even require them.
What is an Electric Generator?
A super silent electric generator converts rotational mechanical energies into electrical energy. Faraday’s law states that when we rotate a coil within a magnetic field, its flux changes which in turn generates an electrical current.
This law, which is named after Michael Faraday, is the one that led to the development of electromagnetic generators. To generate a DC voltage, he designed a system that used a rotating copper disk between the poles a magnet.
Generators are an efficient and highly-developed piece of equipment that can be found in almost every industry today. Generators for the agricultural sector provide energy to any equipment that needs it. This is because there isn’t always an adequate energy supply on large areas of land. They are also used in hospitals to keep life-support machines running in the event of a blackout.
What is the working principle of an electric generator?
The generator operates by having one part generate magnetic flux and the other convert it into electrical energy.
The machines are made up of three basic parts:
- Rotor: This is the part that drives the motor.
- Stator: This is the static portion in which the motor inside turns;
- Drive motor: Its design depends on the type and amount of energy generated by the movement. However, it could be a turbine or an internal combustion engine.
There are two types electric generators based on the current they produce.
- Alternators: They produce alternating current. The rotor is the inductive element, while the stator is the armature. The power generators are an example of this type.
- Direct current is generated by Dynamos. The stator is the inductive element, while the armature the rotor. The light generators found on bicycles are an example of a Dynamo. These are activated by pedaling or the movement of a chain. Wind generators, on the other hand, work through the movement and motion of the blades.
The use of electric generators is also a factor in determining their classification.
- Because they are single-phase, they produce less electricity. Because they have sufficient power to supply the required energy for small businesses and homes, they are perfect for domestic use.
- Three-phase generators: These are more complicated generators than single phase ones, and therefore produce more energy. These are great if you intend to use them in factories, large companies, or workshops.
Because it can convert mechanical energy to electrical energy without needing to be connected to current, the gasoline generator is one the most popular equipment on the market. It is very efficient and low in fuel consumption.
Portable generators can be extremely useful in emergency situations, such as when water pumps are not starting due to flooding. They are lightweight and easy to store.
It is a smart investment to have one of these in your home or at work. This will allow you to always have energy supply in a cost-efficient and portable manner.