A clean computer is a happy place. Sometimes, however, we accidentally delete important files while cleaning. Our hard drives can be damaged or corrupted. Data loss is possible at any time.
You can delete files from your hard drive but they won’t be erased completely. However, your free disk space will still be displayed. Until the computer allocates the space to another file, the deleted file will remain in the memory location. There is still hope.
This tutorial will show you how to recover Mac OS data that you may have accidentally deleted.
Get your data back from a MacBook Pro
- Trash Bin
You can’t delete anything from your system at once unless you use shortcut keys. It is sent to the Trash Bin by the system. You will need to manually delete it afterward.
How to retrieve files from the Trash Bin.
- The Trash Bin is located at the dock of your MacBook Pro’s home screen.
- You can open it and see the complete list of deleted items. If you are lucky, your item(s) will be there.
- Right-click the item and choose the “Put back” option from the dropdown menu. Your item(s) can be returned to their original place.
Notification: Files in the Trash bin are automatically deleted after 30 days.
- Cloud Storage and Backup Drives
To prevent data loss, it is important to keep backups of important files on a cloud storage or backup drive.
This is the place to go if you are unable to find the file you deleted in Trash Bin. Apple’s built in “Time Machine”, secures your data and stores them locally, like an external hard drive.
How to retrieve files from the Time Machine
- Connect the backup drive directly to your MacBook Pro.
- Navigate to the location of the item(s), if any, that you know.
- Click on the Backup icon in the menu bar and choose “Enter Time Machine.”
- Scroll down the timeline to locate your deleted item(s).
- To preview the file, select the item you wish to recover.
- Click the “Restore” button to restore your item(s).
If you don’t see your file in the Time Machine, you can also check any cloud storage such as Apple Cloud or Google Drive.
- Using Data Recovery Software
You will need to use a file recovery software to locate your files. This software uses complex algorithms to retrieve your photos and videos. You’ll find many data recovery programs online that claim to retrieve deleted data. Which one should you choose?
Wondershare Recovery is the best data recovery program you will find online. It comes with all the tools that you need to complete your task quickly and efficiently. It’s easy to use, and you don’t even need to be an engineer.
It is easy to use, can retrieve photos, documents, audio, and other file types. You can retrieve data from more than 1000 file formats that are stored in different file systems, including NTFS and FAT. This is all done while protecting your data 100%.
Recoverit can be used to recover data from Mac and Windows drives. You can also plug in your USB Flash Drive or External Hard Disk or Camcorder, Video/Music Player or Camera, or any other device you might have. You can retrieve files from more then 2000 types storage devices.
It boasts a 95% recovery rate and can recover data from accidental deletions, formatting, device corruptions, viruses attacks, etc.
It comes with advanced features that allow you to recover and repair corrupt video and allows you to access data from a crashed computer.
Wondershare Recoverit allows you to start using the services. Wondershare Recoverit Data Recovery Software is available for Mac OS.
Note Recoverit can be used to retrieve data from Mac in two ways. First, you can download Recoverit to the same MacBook Pro as the file was deleted. The second is to connect your MacBook Pro to a second MacBook Pro, and then install Recoverit on that second MacBook Pro. This second method is safer as it ensures that the installed program doesn’t overwrite any files in the memory. On the secondary MacBook, the primary MacBook drive will appear as an external drive.
Install Recoverit on your computer and follow these steps:
- Use the Wondershare Recovery software. It will detect both your internal and external hard drives. Click on the drive you wish to scan for deleted files, and then click “Start.”
- The software scans your entire hard drive looking for files that have been deleted. The speed of the scan will depend on how fast your hard drive is.
Recoverit offers many filters and a search tool that will allow you to pinpoint the files you need to recover. This greatly speeds up the scanning process. This app will show you real-time scan results for recoverable files. The app will display real-time scan results of recoverable files.
- You’ll now see a list of all the recoverable files. Click on the files that you wish to restore, and then click “Recover.”
After clicking on “Recover”, you will be asked where the file should be stored. Avoid storing the file on the corrupted drive. This could be dangerous and cause data loss. Your recovered file should be stored on another external drive or another MacBook.
What happens if none the methods work?
This is the worst case scenario. Your hard drive could be damaged by excessive heat or your MacBook being dropped from your hand. If this happens, you should not attempt to repair it yourself unless you are a professional. To prevent further damage, take your MacBook to an Authorized Service Center. It is important to have your MacBook checked immediately by a professional. He will then attempt to retrieve the data.
You can prevent data loss by backing up your data to cloud storage. Or, you can use the Time Machine from Apple to backup to a local drive. Software cannot recover a deleted file if it has been overwritten in its memory location. It is better to be safe than sorry.
Our important data is stored on physical drives. These drives can be accidentally deleted or corrupted or damaged. Wondershare Recoverit can help in such situations.